From Prison to Purpose

Are you in prison? Have you recently been released? Since being released, what are you doing to live a purposeful life?  If any of those scenarios apply to you, or even someone you know or love, these questions can be difficult to approach. More often than not, individuals have lived a life in metaphoric prison because they were in fear of the unknown.  Afraid of reprise. How to find your purpose in lifeNot imprisoned solely as in the physical setting, but imprisoned as in the mental and emotional state. We may have allowed our past and current situations to hold us in emotional prisons.  This could include, toxic relationships, dead-end jobs, personal goals, spiritual goals, etc.  Trust me, I have allowed myself to live in fear of the unknown too many times.  More recently, the fear of the unknown kept me from starting a blog last year (that’s another story). The fear of inadequacy, being judged, rejection, failure, uncertainty and change have set limits on what I was capable of tackling.  The fears had me questioning many aspects of my life.  Many of the above fears are the reasons we stay in unhealthy environments, enabling our captive strains to inhibit what could be.
Our fears can be the unconscious drivers of our actions and decisions.  In that format, fear is the driving force of our life actions, setting a ceiling for our growth that without acknowledgment of the fear or strains, prison becomes normalcy. Because of our fears we avoid situations, we become content with living a life with no purpose, a life of just existing, not living, an imprisoned life.  Living a life without purpose is a life without a destination.  I think I have read “The Purpose Driven Life” about 4 times this year.  When I feel confused about my purpose, that is my go-to along with fasting and praying.  Everyone’s purpose will look different, so lets not compare ourselves with the next person.  We all have been tasked with a gift and a purpose.  This is my journey, your journey will differ from mine.  But to define my purpose, I used the following strategies:

1. Ask God to reveal your purpose. But you have to be willing to listen and obey.  Don’t ask Him for something you aren’t ready for. Last year, I felt the need to do more.  I prayed and fast.  I started reading the Purpose Driven Life.   I went to church the following Sunday and he answered my prayer.  I immediately completed a packet and started training as a Stephen Minister. I graduated from my class in January 2018.
  2. Create a mental image of how your life would look.  What’s your motivation? What brings a smile to your face?  What is your passion? What brings you peace? How can you serve others?
  3. Make a plan, write it out, create a vision board.  Do whatever you need to make your purpose come to life.  Discuss your purpose with likeminded people.  People who believe in you.  This is not for their approval, but more so for their support.
  4. Accept your plan. Move forward with your plan. Enjoy the process, even the struggles. Joshua 1:9

Your purpose shouldn’t change.  However, your role will change.  Last year, Chief and I godprayed about a new role in our lives. We are thankful for the vision God has for us.  He is using us in such a special way (more to come). Be patient with the process.  Sometimes, his vision is not immediate to us.  But he is definitely waiting for you to ask him “how can I serve you and others?”
We all have a purpose.  According to the Purpose Driven Life, our purpose is created with a combination of skills: Spiritual gifts, heart, abilities, personality, and experience.
Are you living intentionally with a purpose?  Or are you just living?
Like, comment, and share.  As always, connect with me on my social media platforms, click the links FB and IG.  I would love to hear from you, email me.
~Tren

1. Wendi Kotal

November 21, 2018 at 8:25 AM

I know our PCS overseas has made me question my purpose on so many days. It may be because I suddenly have too much time to do all this questioning of God! But what if He provided the time on purpose? It’s an interesting thought I have often, trying to discern what’s in store for the time we have left here. I like your recommendation of fasting and prayer. I think I should give fasting a try.

November 21, 2018 at 9:21 PM

That’s a good way to think about it. Fasting and praying have brought me through a lot. It allowed me the time to focus on God. Build the relations and focus on spiritual growth. Thanks for visiting.

2. healthywithjamie

November 21, 2018 at 8:44 AM

Thank you for sharing helpful information!

3. Lori M

November 21, 2018 at 9:43 AM

You are so wonderful and stronger than I could ever be!

November 21, 2018 at 9:21 PM

Thanks for visiting. But, my strength doesn’t come from me.

4. Ashley C

November 21, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Reblogged this on The Healthy Llama and commented:
    This was so moving and so appropriate for the upcoming season. Let’s EMBRACE and ENCOURAGE those in our lives who are re-entering society after incarceration.

November 21, 2018 at 9:22 PM

Thank you for visiting and sharing!

5. Ashley C

November 21, 2018 at 10:07 AM

This has really moved me today. Thank you very much for sharing. This is SUCH an important message. My husband is a deputy sheriff and is currently a jail deputy. The stories of some inmates are heartbreaking. My boss is a part of the Kairos mission that goes to maximum security prisons to share messages of hope (or religion if appropriate.) I love your comment about creating a “mental image of how your life would look.” I may use that one (I’ll give you credit 🙂 )

6. Amy

November 21, 2018 at 11:10 AM

Such a great post! Thank you for sharing it! I think so many of us live in our own form of prison because we don’t think we are worthy of anything else. And for those actually in prison, goodness what power there is in the hope in your words!

November 21, 2018 at 9:24 PM

Absolutely. Many times mental prison is caused by things we’ve gone through in life.

7. Madi Rowan

November 21, 2018 at 1:19 PM

This is a beautifully written post! Thank you for sharing. I particularly enjoyed reading your strategies for finding a purpose, I thought they were extremely thoughtful & can really be applied throughout the changes of anyone’s life.
    -Madi xo

8. Fiorella Madsen (@lacasadefreja)

November 21, 2018 at 2:04 PM

Some situations also “help” to open eyes and help to get out of our own prisons. That was my case. These are great tips to follow!

November 21, 2018 at 9:25 PM

So true! Thanks for visiting

9. aregencygirl

November 21, 2018 at 4:00 PM

I think its so important to imagine what your life could be like! Otherwise you can be floating with your ideas and not really making progress! Great post 🙂

November 21, 2018 at 9:26 PM

Yes. Imagine, then put it in action.

10. Kate

November 21, 2018 at 4:16 PM

Great piece. This reminds me that I really need to write my purpose in a clear place and review it every day. I read a lot of books and listen to lectures about creating a purposeful life but then I get caught up in the busyness of life and lose momentum. I like that you read the Purpose Drive Life four times because this kind of thing really does need reinforcement.

November 21, 2018 at 9:28 PM

I agree. We all get caught up in the busy lifestyle. We just need to carve out a few minutes a day, to focus on our purpose.

11. Busie D

November 21, 2018 at 5:19 PM

There is nothing as great as knowing one purpose in life. Great post

12. krizziascollon

November 21, 2018 at 11:22 PM

I really believe that finding your purpose in life changes everything and makes you look at life on a different perspective. I want to say that I have found my purpose and everything i do serves for my purpose.

November 23, 2018 at 10:30 PM

I agree. Finding our purpose gives us a different outlook on life and new ways to search out a purposeful life.

13. Marijke Doldersum

November 22, 2018 at 3:45 AM

This is very interesting and I like it a lot. Only recently I have realised that it is such a perfect answer to many things. I think I have finally sussed out what my purpose is because I have realised what it is I always want and like to do. It is my thing to give or sell to other people. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

14. ThrifDee77

November 23, 2018 at 4:15 AM

I feel this life is just temporary so we shouldn’t let it imprison us. Great article thanks for sharing!
    Dee | http://www.thrifdeedubai.com

November 23, 2018 at 10:28 PM

Absolutely! I totally agree.

15. foodallergymamabear

November 24, 2018 at 12:30 PM

What a great post! I do my best to live intentionally, and with purpose, but sometimes it’s hard to keep myself on track. It’s times like that when it’s good to have reminders like this 🙂
    Thanks for writing such a thoughtful, and meaningful post 🙂

November 25, 2018 at 6:55 PM

Thank you for taking the time to visit and comment 💛

1. foodallergymamabear

November 25, 2018 at 7:46 PM

You are very welcome! I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future 🙂

16. Separation​ and Reunification: Military Life – The Life of A Therapist

December 4, 2018 at 10:16 PM

[…] departed.  There had been several times when I questioned my journey. Read my previous blog, From Prison to Purpose as I discussed how I zone in on my purpose. But we both knew that we had a purpose that needed to […]

December 25, 2018 at 1:31 PM

Thank you so much! This brought a smile to my face.

17. Ashley McBride

January 10, 2019 at 10:41 PM

Love this! It’s so easy to imprison ourselves and not even realize it. To get stuck or to cease our drive to be better. I love how you integrated your faith and personality into your writing. Very powerful! This post is almost like a call to action.

January 13, 2019 at 8:34 PM

Thank you For visiting my page. If it wasn’t for my faith, I don’t think i could’ve made it this far in life.