Living A Simplified Life

So often we live a life that was created for us by our family. Or we live out family traditions. Within the past few years I have been embracing living my life my way! It truly took me moving to another city to appreciate and admire my wants and needs.
I have been posting daily one thing about myself leading to my 40th Birthday. I also shared within one of the post that I am a beginner minimalist. My minimalist journey began April 2018. There were so many reasons to why I decided to live a simplified life. I will share that in another blog. With transitioning to a simplified life comes cherishing things that cannot be bought and sometimes cannot be seen. I realized that memories are the focal point of my life, not things.
1FFE8369-7457-44B9-A5A2-1D2B91170F52
Instead of having a lavish Christmas filled with things, we decided to travel to California and explore the state. I will admit, the weeks leading to Christmas had me in my feelings.  Typically, we put our Christmas decor up the day after Thanksgiving and take it down the day after Christmas. Once Thanksgiving passed, I realized that we are establishing yet our own tradition. But I also realized our twins are growing up (they are our youngest).  Santa and the tree were no longer their “thing.” To celebrate Christmas in California, Chief had a small tree set up for us, which brought a smile to my face. We exchanged our gifts, cooked dinner and went out to the movies
For two weeks, we enjoyed a slow paced life. There were no schedules, hustle and bustle. Which resulted in an opportunity to lose focus on the day and time, which seems rare to me these days.  And let me tell you, that was something different. I remember the weeks leading up to winter break, the twins had exams and after school activites/games almost everyday. Sometimes, there were two soccer games and two basketball games within one week.  And I was tired of the chase and stretched thin! I was in dire need of a true vacation and that is exactly what Chief planned. Please enjoy the snippet of our two weeks that were spent in California.

How did you spend your Christmas and New Year? Was it relaxing? Did you enjoy good company?
Please subscribe to my blog. Like, comment and share. Follow me on my other platforms Pinterest FB and IG
~Tren

1. Judy

January 2, 2019 at 7:19 PM

I love this and I love that you had that time to relax and enjoy! I have a 3 year old and 9 month old so my holidays were hectic. I’m vowing to myself to start preparing months in advance this year so it doesn’t pile on me. Thankfully, we only do 1-2 small gifts for our boys so that doesn’t stress me. I want it to be more about our memories.

January 3, 2019 at 11:06 PM

We are also not into a lot of gifts and stuff. I think we learned our lesson with our oldest, lol.

2. everydaywithmadirae

January 2, 2019 at 7:49 PM

Loved seeing the pictures of your family! Although you felt like your Christmas was slower than years prior, I think it sounded lovely! I love the idea of simplicity, slowing down, & enjoying time with loved ones! Happy New Year!
    -Madi xo

January 3, 2019 at 11:07 PM

Absolutely! Thanks for visiting. Happy New Year!

3. Katz Voyage

January 2, 2019 at 10:01 PM

i love taking it easy especially during vacay 🙂

4. halfpintpartydesign

January 2, 2019 at 11:17 PM

I love taking it easy like that! Happy New Year!

5. Barbara

January 3, 2019 at 9:18 AM

This sounds like a great time and way less stressful than the usual Christmas madness!

January 3, 2019 at 11:10 PM

Yes, it was probably one of the beat Christmas and New Year ever! Thanks for visiting.

6. Tatianna Gabrielle Alvarez

January 3, 2019 at 1:45 PM

this is such an amazing post and simplifying everything is one of my new years resolutions! thanks for sharing this post!

January 3, 2019 at 11:10 PM

I am still learning. But I’ve doing very well. Happy New Year!

7. tcleland88

January 3, 2019 at 3:21 PM

I love the idea of simplifying and traveling instead of having a huge Christmas. We didn’t go anywhere this year, but we did a simplified Christmas. Each of the kids and their families came on a different day to do presents (most of them live out of town). Dennis and I don’t exchange gifts, instead we put our money towards the next trip (this year: Utah).

January 3, 2019 at 11:13 PM

Awe that sounds nice to spend time with your families. That is a great idea! Chief and I didn’t exchange gifts either. We felt this time together was more than money can buy. We’re already talking about our next trip.

8. Iva Ursano (@amazingmemovmnt)

January 3, 2019 at 6:38 PM

Oh this was great!! Christmas here in Guatemala was nice and quiet 🙂 My family is in Canada so I’m basically alone here with a handful of expat friends so we make the most of our holidays here

January 3, 2019 at 11:14 PM

Glad you enjoyed a nice and quiet Christmas. Sometimes people don’t have the opportunity to something so simple as “quiet.” Happy New Year!

9. amber9731

January 3, 2019 at 7:05 PM

I think that it is so awesome that you traveled for Christmas! I am in awe of you when you said that you did it without schedules. That is definitely something that I couldn’t do!

January 3, 2019 at 11:18 PM

Lol. Nope, no schedules. We had cities and things we wanted to do, but we didn’t have a set time. We just went with the flow. And we accomplished all we wanted. A vacation with a schedule and time restraints will never be a vacation (personally). Happy New Year!

10. Cara @ The Financially Free Life

January 3, 2019 at 9:15 PM

It’s the simple things that really matter anyway. Such a great post!

January 3, 2019 at 11:18 PM

Absolutely. Thanks for visiting!

11. allthingslexingtonblog

January 4, 2019 at 1:04 AM

My Christmas was spent splitting time between five different homes. My husband and I both come from divorce families. I am keeping California in mind for next year because that sounds much more fun to me!

January 9, 2019 at 9:06 PM

I am hoping you were able to get a little rest in during the holidays.

12. Safana

January 4, 2019 at 1:08 AM

This’s wonderful! Never crossed my mind before but I really like the idea. I’d love to try this maybe next Christmas ❤️ It will be special and more memorable! Thanks gorgeous😊 happy new year!

January 9, 2019 at 9:06 PM

Thank you. Happy New Year!!

13. astoldbyalma

January 4, 2019 at 3:08 AM

I was just talking about this with a friend! As a teacher, I do have the time to relax and enjoy the holiday. However, it takes 19 hours to get home and back that’s 4 days gone just for travel not to mention all the craziness of the holidays. I am exhausted! I need an extra week! Glad you enjoyed your family!

January 9, 2019 at 9:07 PM

Yikes!! Yes that is a lot of travelling time! You will definetly need a vacay after a vacy. Sometimes staycations are the best! Happy New Year!

14. Michael

January 4, 2019 at 3:54 PM

Unscheduled family time away from home is most relaxing.

15. biblemomma

January 4, 2019 at 4:55 PM

I love this! We go way overboard during Christmas. On one hand, it’s so exciting, but on the other, it’s just plain exhausting. I really hope to simplify things next year. My boys range in age from 3-19, so I still have a couple of younger ones. That makes it a little harder for me. They love all of our traditions.

January 9, 2019 at 9:10 PM

Yes, the younger ones really enjoy the craziness of it all, lol. I miss my twins at that age. They all grow too fast. Happy New Year!

16. Jill

January 4, 2019 at 10:52 PM

I love the idea of simplifying; I am always attempting to do this as well. I also think it’s great that you were able to get away for Christmas and have a nice relaxing trip. It is so easy to get caught up in all the hustle and bustle of life that we forget to take time for ourselves so I am happy for you that you were able to get that. Your trip sounds lovely and your family is absolutely beautiful.
    Christmas here is so hectic – especially since we have a 2-year-old and so many people to see. I look forward to a more relaxed holiday in the future when she is beyond the “Santa Stage”!

January 9, 2019 at 9:13 PM

Thank you for such kind words! Ha, yes beyond the santa stage. We definitely don’t want her to miss out on that. Those are truly the fun years! I miss those years when my girls were tiny. Happy New Year!

17. actaangeleeka

January 5, 2019 at 1:34 PM

What an interesting idea for the holidays! We traveled as well, but only 8 hours to my sister’s house in Portland, OR. It was a nice quiet Christmas this year which I am quite grateful for!

January 9, 2019 at 9:14 PM

I am glad you were able to get some quite time. Sometimes our body just need that to recharge again. Happy New Year!!

18. candohannitude

January 6, 2019 at 11:02 AM

We attended traditional family dinners this year for the holidays, but we also decided to do it different going forward. We want to relax during the holidays and not be obligated to deadlines and obligations as that is not what is the reason for the season. I think I’m going to suggest to him we do a fun trip next year. That is an excellent idea!

January 9, 2019 at 9:20 PM

That is a great idea! Get you some rest and relaxation in, with no restrictions. Happy New Year!

19. crisinthebigd

January 6, 2019 at 5:09 PM

I understand you perfectly! This year our Christmas was really simple, since we had traveled the week before for our anniversary… We did put our xmas decor up but no stress about buying gifts for everybody or lots of cooking either… It was peaceful but yet full of joy! 🙂

20. Sumayya Ali

January 7, 2019 at 1:04 AM

Thanks for stopping by and liking my post ☺️

January 9, 2019 at 9:22 PM

Absoutely! Happy New Year!!

21. Poovanesh

January 7, 2019 at 11:42 AM

I love the idea of not doing the traditional huge Christmas dinner which is so exhausting. I’m so glad you got the chance to rest up, relax and reconnect over the festive period.

22. Nancy

January 7, 2019 at 8:01 PM

Sounds like an amazing Christmas! The holidays can be so stressful and this sounds like a great way to relax!

23. LeaveInspired, By Tysheira

January 8, 2019 at 8:43 AM

I really like the idea of stepping away from family traditions and making your own. When I get married, that is something I look forward to doing with my family. Thank you for sharing your experience and beautiful pictures.

January 9, 2019 at 9:27 PM

I love when families create their personalized traditions. Happy New Year!

24. Tarisha Christian

January 8, 2019 at 5:30 PM

I love how you made the holidays so simple. Society has lost focus on what the holidays are all about. We get so caught in buying expensive gifts, and becoming overly stressed that we forget what the true meaning of the holidays is all about.

January 9, 2019 at 9:28 PM

Oh gosh yeah! I was guilty of that a few years ago. But whew….that got old and made me more tired and broke, lol.

25. Delux Designs (DE), LLC

January 8, 2019 at 5:46 PM

This looks relaxing, happy new year!

26. shay

January 9, 2019 at 8:34 AM

My family went to Florida for Christmas an had 80 degree weather! it was incredible and relaxing. I love how the holiday season forces you to slow down!

January 9, 2019 at 9:33 PM

Yasss, to Florida. Where the weather is always nice (sometimes, lol). I am glad you had a relaxing trip. Happy New Year!

27. Brittany

January 9, 2019 at 6:05 PM

That trip looks like so much fun! We spent both holidays in town and with family. It was definitely a relaxing time.

28. The Veteran Spouse

February 10, 2019 at 3:44 AM

We have actually started doing this with the kids birthdays and now that we’re in Europe major holidays as well. We pick a place we want to go for our birthday and as a family we decide what we want to do for Christmas or spring break. It’s been great!

February 10, 2019 at 2:27 PM

Such a nice tradition to start!

29. Edward Fagan

March 17, 2019 at 2:52 PM

This is a profound and well written post, thanks for sharing it.

April 2, 2019 at 6:19 PM