WHAT I LEARNED BY ASKING FOR HELP

Sometimes taking a break helps you to regroup and gain clarity on your life. Taking breaks can be liberating, especially from things that somehow hold you hostage.  I think we all deserve a break from things even if it’s what we enjoy. Too much of anything isn’t good, right?
The last two months have been crazy! As usual, I was running around with my cape on being superwoman and one day I just couldn’t keep up with myself. I felt like I didn’t have a handle on any part of my life. For someone that’s type A and organized to the core, this triggered my anxiety and developed a beast! I felt ashamed because I was losing track of all the things I once had under control.
One day, oh just one sweet day, I lost it. I gave up the fight. I stopped fighting with myself to have it all together and I called for back up. The thing about being superwoman is that you do everything for yourself and others, and it’s hard to see who care and support you because YOU’RE literally in the way. I was just that, and I couldn’t live there long. I finally did it, I stepped down and asked for help.
Text placeholder-3
Asking for help requires transparency and vulnerability.  Therefore, I was not sure how to go about asking for help because it was all too foreign, but I knew I just couldn’t go on any longer. Graduate school was my initial cry for help. I asked for extensions in which the professor was 100% on-board with. Because I needed help to gain control of my life, I took time off for work, in which my supervisor saw the cry for help in my eyes. I took a break from blogging because if you are a consistent reader, you know I am transparent and expose a lot. I needed to bring it all in for a second. I was in dire need of help. I literally shut down.
The lesson I can take from my experience is… I can still be strong and superwoman slaying and saving lives, but there’s nothing wrong with needing to slow down or asking for help. Why do we shame ourselves or others for needing just that, help? Why are we so afraid or prideful to ask for help? These are some of the questions I took about a month to explore because I was curious as to why I felt too good to ask for it. I hope by reading this you ask yourself the same in return.

owl picAbout the Author:     My name is Tysheira and I am the creator of Leave Inspired. I am pursuing my MSW specializing in Mental Health. My goal is to become a Licensed Counselor Social Worker (LCSW) to help treat those that suffer from Mood and Anxiety Disorders. I am passionate about Mental Health and working on various ways to raise awareness and normalize it in the African American community. You can get in contact with me at Leave Inspired.

1. themindconnectory

February 21, 2019 at 7:49 PM

Hi Tysheira, thank you for sharing your experience. It was very empowering to read. I think feeling ashamed about asking for help is a struggle that many deal with, and you capture this excellently. I would love to feature this post on my site if I have your permission. Here are some examples of stories I have already shared from other inspiring people. https://themindconnectory.wordpress.com/category/inspirational-stories/
    All the best

February 23, 2019 at 4:14 PM

Yes please share this post. Thank you so much for visiting. I will also check out your page.

1. themindconnectory

February 24, 2019 at 2:38 AM

Fantastic, it will be my pleasure! Will keep you updated as to when it is put up. All the best!

1. themindconnectory

February 28, 2019 at 7:42 PM

Hi Tysheira, the post that I mentioned you you a few days ago will be available at this link in a few hours time. https://themindconnectory.wordpress.com/category/inspirational-stories/
          Thanks again for sharing your empowering story.
          All the best.

March 2, 2019 at 1:28 PM

Hi thanks for sharing. This blog site (Therapist Married to Navy) is mine, Tren.
            Ty, was a guest blogger on my site.

2. RTWTL

February 24, 2019 at 7:59 AM

I think this goes back to when we were kids. Strength was always synonymous with independence. We were also told to only tell on the “important” things, the things that could get somebody hurt. But, that is not always the right way to go about telling, or in this case asking for help. “If you want something right do it yourself” is one of the most common phrases. It’s a new day and a lot of that jibberish is just that. I also feel it’s hard to ask for help because it’s easy to feel like what I’m going through is not “that bad” but we know where too many “not that bads” can lead you. The key is knowing who to ask and knowing your limits.

March 2, 2019 at 1:23 PM

Absolutely. I definitely agree with you. Much of what we go through is because of our upbringing. Or a sign of weakness, if we ask for help. Observing and listening to our bodies are the first signs to begin the process of asking for help!

3. heartofresilience

February 26, 2019 at 9:27 PM

I don’t know where I would be if no one helped me??? It is a powerful thing!!!

4. Danica Anne Panganiban

March 2, 2019 at 12:48 PM

You are right. I have been trying to be strong fighting alone since I was 15 and the worst was for a year and a half until last week when I couldn’t get off bed anymore. I cried. I cried for help. I let it all out and took a break. I thought I need to just keep going. I was wrong. I need to rest and ask for help. it is the most beautiful thing I have done.

March 2, 2019 at 1:32 PM

Getting to a breaking point is a cry for help. Sometimes asking for help is the best thing. When we have a good support system. Listen to your body. Thanks for sharing 💛

5. Morgan Tyner

March 2, 2019 at 12:52 PM

It is certainly super important to ask for help! I have a difficult time with this, as well. I’ve learned that help (from those I trust/who will understand) is the best way to grow! Thank you so much for sharing this! Great read and tons of wisdom that others needs to read 🙏🏽

March 2, 2019 at 1:34 PM

Yes, “help from those we trust and who understands.” Thanks for visiting!

6. Holly Faye

March 3, 2019 at 7:59 AM

It’s encouraging to hear that others feel this way too. Makes you feel less alone. I tend to isolate myself when I feel overwhelmed. This is a good reminder to ask for help.

March 14, 2019 at 7:13 PM